By Chanda Temple
For six straight days, I wrote about the inspiring messages delivered during Oprah Winfrey’s “Life You Want Tour’’ this fall. This blog post is my seventh and last post about the event, which was designed to renew people’s minds and souls to help them go after what they want in life.
In order to write your new vision, Winfrey said you must have a new language. To get there, here are some helpful comments from Winfrey and presenters life coach Iyanla Vanzant, pastor Rob Bell, “Eat Pray Love’’ author Elizabeth Gilbert, spiritual leader Deepak Chopra and Soul Cycle fitness instructor Angela Davis.
- Be aware of negative thoughts and release them. Stop telling yourself: “I’m so fat’’ or “I’m not going to get a job.’’ You are not those things. – Oprah Winfrey
- Change your mindset. Instead of saying, “I’m so tired,’’ say, “I can’t wait until I get a second wind.’’ – Oprah Winfrey
- You cannot care about every cause. It’s OK to say no. – Oprah Winfrey
- Life taught me to tell the truth to myself and about myself. If you don’t tell the truth, you will end up with something you don’t want. – Iyanla Vanzant
- The truth you tell, empowers you, inspires you and encourages you. It’s not one that brings you down. – Iyanla Vanzant
- Life is telling you that in order to get to something good, you’ve got to be willing to go through the labor pains. Learn how to get through the labor pains of what you desire. But remember, it won’t always be pretty. Trust yourself that no matter what, you’ll be OK. – Iyanla Vanzant
- It’s hard to convince yourself that you can do something that you don’t believe you can do. – Iyanla Vanzant
- You cannot give one negative any time or attention. As soon as it surfaces, swat it. – Iyanla Vanzant
- “The life you want begins with embracing the life you already have.’’ – Rob Bell
- Learn to experience the divine presence in all the small things. – Rob Bell
- What events will shape you? Success, good, right, victory? Or failure, bad, wrong, defeat? You have to choose. The life you want begins with you embracing the life you already have. – Rob Bell
- When despair comes knocking, stop to take a breath. – Rob Bell
- When you are reading a mystery novel, the reason you love it is because it doesn’t get solved. Your life is a mystery. You have to embrace the mystery. – Rob Bell
- Cross the threshold to go on your own journey and find your power in the world. – Elizabeth Gilbert
- Begin every endeavor with: “What have I come here to do?’’ – Elizabeth Gilbert
- If you don’t have one clear passion, it makes you feel bad because you don’t know what it is. If you don’t have a passion, follow your curiosity. It’s a clue. It might lead you to your passion and it may not. – Elizabeth Gilbert
- If you want to be successful, you make others successful. – Deepak Chopra
- When you are making a choice, ask yourself what’s your motivation. Will it make me happy? Will it make others happy? – Deepak Chopra
- Wake up and thank God for making you just as you are. – Deepak Chopra
- “It is time for you to go higher … and say yes to your dream.’’ – Angela Davis
Chanda Temple is a former reporter now working in public relations. She blogs about being better in business and more at http://www.chandatemplewrites.com. Follow her on Twitter at @chandatemple. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.